what are the criteria that a Mugen character must have in your opinion?

Kano1

in my personal opinion it is a new character and it doesn't bore me

character doesn't have to be too strong so I feel bored  have the art of movement and combo have various combos with different and non-repeating moves
the thing that makes mugen interesting is the martial arts game what is art ? there are sword arts, spear arts, kung fu arts, boxing arts and smackdown
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

• All basic attacks are complete, has throws, basic movements etc. (4 minimum buttons is fine but I prefer 6)
  • Has at least two specials and two supers/hypers/whatever it is (Carnage lacks a second special move making him feel inversatile)
  • Effects aren't over the top or flashy (RoySquadRocks' characters tend to be a seizure show for no reason at all)
  • Not a spriteswap of Kung Fu Man
  • Not an 18+ character
  • Has good animations (especially) and sprites
  • AI isn't obnoxious. If it's too good for me, at least have it be entertaining (Holn AI patches feel too copy and pasted... because they are sometimes)
  • No overpowered "That's a counter!" or whatever bs like that. (My problem with the pinned Mario characters. They were really only pinned because I liked the animations and sprites)
  • Minimum of 6 palettes
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Let's see

• Sprites and animations are completed and polished to an extent, with any unfinished stuff either left to be finished in a later update or cut from the character
  • Character must have a moveset that is either casual enough for players or complex enough for watchers (if a character is meant to be played, don't make the character overly complex)
  • Be a visual spectacle with attacks, hyper portraits, etc., but not to a seizure-inducing extent
  • Should be able to work for 1.0, 1.1, and IKEMEN (no WinMugen-exclusive characters)
  • If balanced, should have a solid range of attacks, specials, and hypers without attacks and hurtboxes being recycled throughout
  • A.I. should either be fair enough for a casual player to fight with a balanced character, or should be entertaining to watch
    • Better yet if both are true
    • Unless the character is designed to be utterly broken, A.I. should not be obnoxious with either nigh-endless blocking or nigh-endless gate-locking or both
  • If a character is meant to be fully serious, focus on what you had in mind when creating the character, whether they be original, arranged, or source accurate so it is fun to play or watch on its own
  • If a character is meant to be somewhat or completely goofy, try to embrace that goofiness to the point where it is fun to play or watch on its own
  • Cannot simply be a cheapie that destroys most enemies with no effort, even if it has badass music or is a visual spectacle (which is why I hate WinMugen-exclusive characters)
  • Should not contain anti-code or anti-modes designed to make a character unbeatable under certain circumstances (as much as the rest of the character(s) may fulfill most of these requirements, this one sin can taint my opinion of said character(s) if it is present)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Amaterachu1 said:
  • No overpowered "That's a counter!" or whatever bs like that. (My problem with the pinned Mario characters. They were really only pinned because I liked the animations and sprites)

In that case, why not just pin ShinRyoga's Mario and a different Luigi and/or Bowser and such, if k6666orochi's characters don't meet your overall standards?

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 1:51 PM, DejaVuFlame said:

I know, but I mean, in comparison to k6666orochi's characters, do any of those other characters deserve to be pinned?

If I chose to pin some characters there according to my standards it'll be

• Mario by ShinRyoga
  • Bowser by k6666orochi
  • Mario by k6666orochi
  • Kamek by Neo-Kamek
  • Luigi by k6666orochi
  • Peach by EugeneQ

In that order of priority. Not sure about those others yet.

Mario and Kamek are classic iconic characters especially on AK1's channel. The k6666orochi characters have an overall better visual quality for AK1 to use in videos. While Peach is only a beta character, it's truly the best Peach we've got right now. Peach also happens to be an iconic Mario character in general. Wario by Warner and Yoshi by Mike or whoever it was that didnt make an 18+ edit can be honorable mentions but not neccessarily in that list for me.

• Thanks 1

I mainly focus on cheap characters since I have made several of those things, occasionally I create joke characters and balanced ones too.
However, I would like to mention what makes a character good imo:

• Character's coding isn't copy pasted from others, at least original in some form (SAMSARA is a good example, he makes unique code for each and every character he makes)
  • Character has a good sounding voice (Not required but encouraged since it gives the character some personality)
  • Character's AI is at least 4th or 3rd division like, it can be higher level than that if so desired, 5th divs are bleeeeh no thanks, boring and sometimes terribly bad/repetitive AI in 5th divisions.
  • Character isn't too gimmicky (I do make exceptions though)
  • Isn't an obligatory Sprite Swap (Though there are exceptions for this too, some are just too different to be classed as a sprite swap like Dee Bee Kaw)
  • As a bonus, add a few in jokes for some laughs (The_None does this all the time, like the random bonk that happens with Possessed Heita, Twerking Thanos, etc.)

1 the best character the first important thing is to match the other characters

2 does not cause bugs and no error and no close mugen in eror

3 it doesn't have too complicated code so the downloader can fix it if indeed the character has some errors

4 Adjustment AL must match the speed of the human hand because some difficult code skill human is not fast but AL can do it in an instant

5 characters have combo limit if you hit your opponent up to air you won't be able to do it again before he falls to the ground because if you hit him again in the air you will do it again and again without stopping until the opponent's life dies and I think it's a trash character

6 I once had a character who hit or mis the opponent with pause forever to the enemy or inflict pause forever on enemies while standing I will definitely delete this kind of character

7 character must be hit if you can't get hit, don't share because people will feel disappointed when downloading

don't need too many plates but characters have good animation because actually many characters are painted with color variations, it's really difficult to make a plate

9 copy and paste is not a problem because copy paste itself does not necessarily match the mugen engine you are using but you still have to edit it to match the sprite file you are using typing the code from scratch is easy but it would take too long and tiring that's what happened to me when trying to fix a character error the best code is copy from kungfu man but if you want to try an easy one please take the code from naruto in general it won't work unless you edit it

• 3 months later...

Fun and functionality are my top 2. Fun comes first though.

or more elaborately:

1. must be fun to play as. I love combos, juggling, all that good stuff. I'd take a fun, cheap character over a really stiff and clunky character any day of the week.

2. should not cause any major bugs. Definitely nothing that crashes MUGEN, and nothing that breaks the character either.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/11/2022 at 11:00 AM, kil0-meter said:

2. should not cause any major bugs. Definitely nothing that crashes MUGEN, and nothing that breaks the character either.

there are some characters who have a system similar to a keylogger when they meet the same engine the AI tends to cheat but when they meet a different engine, the character or even weakened by not being able to read the opponent's movements and crashes and bug
my advice you have to create a new folder and separate these characters into a list of others

maybe that's the solution but if the solution doesn't work you should try to fix it or delete it

image.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...