Lost Media M.U.G.E.N

shaojkahn

On 2/1/2022 at 9:45 PM, shaojkahn said:

there's any character,mugen game,stage,video that's you guys remeber or not  ?

One character I remember is GIR, more specifically the version that fights in his doggy suit.  It was a character with pretty iffy sprites, little to no animation, and no A.I. to speak of.

Here's some samples of the the original version and the updated (and even worse) version

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2022 at 9:45 PM, shaojkahn said:

there's any character,mugen game,stage,video that's you guys remeber or not  ?

She Hulk by LOGANIR the best version that never came out, it was 30% complete than she got cancelled without a reason.

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2022 at 7:27 PM, Darkmaster said:

She Hulk by LOGANIR the best version that never came out, it was 30% complete than she got cancelled without a reason.

19 hours ago, Amaterachu1 said:

Project 2 by Reuben Kee. Never released or finished.

Project2Reu.jpg

And while we're on that ShinRyoga and Reuben Kee's Samus

1.gif

Whether they be cancelled due to lack of motivation, retirement, or death...it's a pity that these projects never got finished.  Two of these, sadly, are the result of what TV Tropes calls Author Existence Failure (as in the creator died before he could finish these characters).

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Way back in 2011 I remember downloading a pair of KFM edits called "Light KFM" and "Dark KFM". The light one was wearing an all-white gi and the dark one an all-black gi. I don't remember if they had any different moves from normal KFM. What stood out to me at the time was oddly enough the fact that whoever made the edits put their full name in the .def (as in first middle and last). It's a little more common nowadays, but doing something like that in an age where the internet was still relatively anonymous was almost unheard of.

Funny thing is, I don't even remember the guy's name anymore... anyway the KFM edits vanished in 2012 when the site they were hosted on, esnips, closed down. The amount of people who downloaded those specific edits was probably less than 500, which just goes to show how important preservation is in the community.

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2022 at 10:43 PM, kil0-meter said:

Way back in 2011 I remember downloading a pair of KFM edits called "Light KFM" and "Dark KFM". The light one was wearing an all-white gi and the dark one an all-black gi. I don't remember if they had any different moves from normal KFM. What stood out to me at the time was oddly enough the fact that whoever made the edits put their full name in the .def (as in first middle and last). It's a little more common nowadays, but doing something like that in an age where the internet was still relatively anonymous was almost unheard of.

Funny thing is, I don't even remember the guy's name anymore... anyway the KFM edits vanished in 2012 when the site they were hosted on, esnips, closed down. The amount of people who downloaded those specific edits was probably less than 500, which just goes to show how important preservation is in the community.

I did find Dark KFM, but only on the Archive...so yeah...

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Since lost media and preservation are things that I care quite a lot about and would like others to care about too, might as well contribute to this thread (even if it's been a while since the last post, hope that's okay).

The original unmodified WinMUGEN, the one straight from Elecbyte with all the limitations in place, is lost media. Honestly, I'm surprised that's even possible, but it is how it is.

Some people may still have it, so it might be a good idea to spread the word and bring attention to this pretty big missing piece of MUGEN history...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/17/2023 at 7:37 AM, noxxy said:

Since lost media and preservation are things that I care quite a lot about and would like others to care about too, might as well contribute to this thread (even if it's been a while since the last post, hope that's okay).

The original unmodified WinMUGEN, the one straight from Elecbyte with all the limitations in place, is lost media. Honestly, I'm surprised that's even possible, but it is how it is.

Some people may still have it, so it might be a good idea to spread the word and bring attention to this pretty big missing piece of MUGEN history...

Even so, it's really not worth looking into. The unmodified version only allowed you to play with two characters under a time limit. I don't understand why anyone would want it anyway.

Back on topic, Monty Oum's Hatsune Miku that was under development before his tragic passing.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 5/14/2023 at 6:44 AM, Dissidia said:

Even so, it's really not worth looking into. The unmodified version only allowed you to play with two characters under a time limit. I don't understand why anyone would want it anyway.

In that regard, people archive demo discs and such just the same, it's just for history's sake, really. Maybe not quite as interesting as user content, but still a curiosity, and it'd be interesting to see how it differs from the earlier available hacks.

(And didn't really think I was going off-topic much, if a version of MUGEN itself can be missing too...)

• Upvote 1

On 3/19/2022 at 8:33 PM, Amaterachu1 said:

Project 2 by Reuben Kee. Never released or finished.

Project2Reu.jpg

And while we're on that ShinRyoga and Reuben Kee's Samus

1.gif

Wow! That's amazing. I knew Reuben had some projects in the works before his passing, but I've never heard of Project 2. Where did you find this image from?

I remember finding this video back in 2015 when I was still new to M.U.G.E.N (I only watched gameplay footage of it on YouTube, and didn't actually download M.U.G.E.N until shortly after the start of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020), and I believe that it belongs here because I have no idea if the original author posted a download link for it anywhere. This is the same person who made the Krabby Pizza character (later turned into a stage by Derpy Sponge), by the way.

Edited by Gabe2006
Corrected YouTube video embed