• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 2:26 PM, Amaterachu1 said:

7z is accepted but will be converted to zip once spotted

If you don't mind the question, I've been wondering why this is the case? Is there something about zip and rar that's preferred over 7z? I use 7-Zip myself and find 7z convenient and afaik every software that can open rar files can also open 7z files

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OroCrimson said:

If you don't mind the question, I've been wondering why this is the case? Is there something about zip and rar that's preferred over 7z? I use 7-Zip myself and find 7z convenient and afaik every software that can open rar files can also open 7z files

Every software supports zips not 7z you need to download a whole new program to get 7z and winzip can lead to random viruses and crap

3 minutes ago, Amaterachu1 said:

Every software supports zips not 7z you need to download a whole new program to get 7z and winzip can lead to random viruses and crap

Yeah, definitely don't use WinZip, but 7-Zip is free and good software. I noticed you allowed RAR which also isn't supported on Windows unless you install new software. WinRAR also opens .7z files. I don't know any software that opens .rar but not .7z

Edited by OroCrimson
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, OroCrimson said:

Yeah, definitely don't use WinZip, but 7-Zip is free and good software. I noticed you allowed RAR which also isn't supported on Windows unless you install new software. WinRAR also opens .7z files. I don't know any software that opens .rar but not .7z

A bunch of people say they can open rar no problem so I just took their word for it, especially since it's such a common package file.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 5/25/2022 at 11:14 PM, OroCrimson said:

Anything changed on thoughts of 7z support yet? 7-Zip is free and open source, and often has better compression than rar, so outside of some janky technical reasons, it seems like a bit of a strange choice to allow WinRAR but not 7-Zip...

It's especially good when bundling different older versions of the same character, while WinRAR compresses each sprite/sound/etc file separately, 7-Zip seems to see the duplicate data and merge it, often reducing the size as though there was only one copy in there. I download a lot of stuff so I've had a lot of test cases, and most of the time 7z gives the better compression ratio (and zip is pretty badly compressed lol)

• Upvote 1

On 8/2/2023 at 10:51 PM, noxxy said:

Anything changed on thoughts of 7z support yet? 7-Zip is free and open source, and often has better compression than rar, so outside of some janky technical reasons, it seems like a bit of a strange choice to allow WinRAR but not 7-Zip...

It's especially good when bundling different older versions of the same character, while WinRAR compresses each sprite/sound/etc file separately, 7-Zip seems to see the duplicate data and merge it, often reducing the size as though there was only one copy in there. I download a lot of stuff so I've had a lot of test cases, and most of the time 7z gives the better compression ratio (and zip is pretty badly compressed lol)

Also Windows 11 has now added native support for RAR and 7z: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows11-getting-native-support-for-7-zip-rar-and-gz-archives/ .

To speak frankly here, there is literally no reason to support RAR but not support 7Z. Everyone who can open RAR files can also open 7Z files, and 7Z is generally a better format. 7-Zip is also free software while WinRAR is technically not. Having 7-Zip installed lets you right click and compress as 7z immediately while it takes extra steps to compress as RAR. All around it'd be a lot more convenient if I could upload 7z here as that's what I prefer to use everywhere else. 

Edited by OroCrimson
  • Upvote 2